Friday, April 2, 2010

Mish-Mosh

Happy Friday to Everyone, I thought I would share a few things today.

First off, head over to my other blog (The Scrappy Tree) to see our ATC swap. We have lots of talented and fun people that are sure to make it a great swap!


Next up a field trip Friday from a few weeks ago, Gum's Antiques.
Gum's is probably one of the more interesting Antique Malls I have been in. The store sits off a main street, smack dab in the middle of the city, surrounded by schools, suburban areas and commercial business'. The main building itself is a large warehouse, with a corragated vinyl roof, attached to an old barn and another small structure in front. The main building used to be a green house and still has lots of foliage and ivy growing around it. The roof allows the sun to shine in with diffused light, which creates a wonderful natural glow to explore all the treasures inside. A 20 ft.rock sculpture with an attached pond and working waterfall sits in the middle of room, with a stone path that leads all around it. The ponds holds many turtles & Koi fish, which make you feel like you are outside strolling in a park, especially as the waterfall flows in the background. There is a beautiful planked bridge that sits over one section of the pond and gives you a perfect view of the water life activities. The sellers booths are set up along the sides of the building with red awnings covering and separating each section. Because it is a mall style antique store, the variety of things, new and old is endless and unique. The building is old and open to the elements but somehow the treasures inside are perfectly situated, well kept and priced very reasonably. The two story barn in back which is attached to the main building, holds even more treasures. The selling point to visit in my opinion, is definitely the deck that leads from the barn, on the second story out into the warehouse, giving a stunning view of the open space. The small building in front holds more of the case high end items, such as jewelry, collectibles and fine china. Overall this antique mall is like no other I have seen and very worth your time to visit if you are in the area. Not knowing I would find such a treasure, I tried to capture some pictures but only had my iphone, so the quality of the pictures is not that great but it gives you an idea of all the uniqueness of the building and the treasures worth exploring inside. See the slide show and address below.

Gum's Antique Mall & Collectibles

phone- 562-809-0373

21330 Norwalk Blvd

Hawaiian Gardens, CA 90716





A few treasures from Gum's I had to have :)
from left top: An Asian inspired bracelet made of bone (I will make jewelry out of it), some Mexican or Spanish inspired jewelry & accents, floral frogs (one for my friend Julz ), knick knacks , vintage buttons, vintage jewelry and pieces, novelty pieces, more buttons, plastic beads, vintage glass beads, old display case (that will become a wall hanging soon), tons of great vintage postcards and a year book and vintage paper doll books.


Lastly, here is a little book I worked on for a friend. She just had a new addition added, so now she has two adorable little guys :) I used one of my Backporch Memories kits, all Sassafras papers and stickers. I just love Sassafras, for kids projects especially! A Maya Road mini bare chipboard album and a handful of other misc. pieces.









Thanks for stopping by, I am still working on a few other field trips to the ArtBar I visited in the Santa Ana Artist Village, my Disney world trip and Valentines day in Temecula with my hubby.

See you soon!

K

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love the yummies you found in Gum's - wish it was here in the UK! The book you made for your friend is adorable, really vibrant colours. Thank you for dropping by my blog, it really gave me a kick knowing you'd been there. So sorry to hear about Indy. A beautiful spirit, she will always be with you.

    Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness K, Gum's looks like the most fantastic place!! Wow!! Incredible! Thank you so much for a frog!! You are a sweetie. The album you made is awesome. You made a wonderful treasure full of great pics and vibrant colors! My thoughts are also with you and your family. Indy was a wonderful companion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gum's sure looks like a fun spot!
    Precious book for your friend, children have a way of growing up so quickly!
    Happy Spring!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete