Friday, March 4, 2011

Keep em comin'...


You know when you get one of those bursts of creativity and all of a sudden you can't stop thinking of projects you want to try, I 'm having one, YEAH! I hate to say luckily I have been sick but because I have been sick and not doing much after work, I happen to have the time too, Yeah again:) Thanks to G45 for their inspiration again and good old Grandma and Mom, I bring you this next piece.


I printed this dress form picture over a year ago and fell in love with it, finally I found something to do with it. It is surrounded by my Grandmothers laces and fabric swatches, some more of her vintage pattern paper and old buttons and some of Mom's embroidering floss, I wound onto spools to resemble thread and a few of her buttons as well. The star of the piece is the dress form but a real close second of course is the lovely Graphic 45 pattern paper as the back ground, the fashion cards to the left, the mock pattern packet to the right and the necklace in the middle. All are part of the Fashionista collection, other than the backgrounds which are Renaissance Faire and Domestic Goddess. They can all be found here. I am really lucky a couple of my LSS carry their collections but Scrapbook.com also has their products, yeah again!



A close up of some of Grandma's buttons and fabric swatches and some of the beautiful fashion cards from G45.





Since I planned to use my Mom and Grandmothers pieces, I knew I wanted the LO to go into a window box frame to protect it, so to get dimension in the piece, I attached the dress form picture to layers and layers of chipboard and foam core to make it the focal point and pop in the LO. I painted the foam black so it would blend a little better and not be seen on the sides.

As I mentioned, the miniature spools of Embroidering thread are my Mom's thread but the mini spools are from Michaels, where you can buy all sizes. They make a great gift to a fellow Crafter too, especially if you are into Matchbox exchanges :)


A little shout out to my friend Julz who shared some of her Grandmothers vintage bias tape (the pink to the right) I pleated it and just glued it down to keep shape, thx Julz :)


These little gold buttons were my Mom's, I am pretty sure I was with her when she bought them, we took a lot of trips to New York fabrics when I was a child :)



One of my favorite elements is this necklace. After using some alcohol ink to darken up the charm piece, I simply cut out a button from the Fashionista paper , positioned it on a the charm, filled it with diamond glaze, let it dry for a few days and then strung it on the ribbon, instant necklace!




The final piece in it's window box, now I just need to find room to hang it!



Thanks for stopping by today, TGIF!!

Kristin xx




9 comments:

  1. A wonderful project,Kristin....and such lovely vintage pieces on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been drooling over these beautiful photos Kristin - this post is truly a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Kristin, I LOVE this piece!!! You are so lucky to have access to all those lovely vintage pieces from your mom and grandmother. I love that you have turned them into a wonderful keepsake. I had fun looking at your photos and studying every detail. Thanks for sharing this inspirational piece!!! Well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you've been sick, I hope you're better now xx

    WOW to the project though! I'm glad you've been able to find the silver lining in that you've had time to create this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin - This brought tears to my eyes. In addition to being so stunning, it was very clear in your text how important these pieces and memories are to you. Thank you for sharing such an important part of you.
    I hope that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness, this is STUNNING Kristin!

    Just wanted to let you know I'm having a little giveaway to celebrate my first year's blogging, so if you wanna pop over......

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply gorgeous! I love it! Hope you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete